Nominations are now open for VisitEngland’s Tourism Superstar competition 2020.
VisitEngland’s Tourism Superstar award, now in its ninth year and run in partnership with the Mirror newspaper, recognises and celebrates those in the tourism industry who go the extra mile to ensure tourists in England have an amazing and unforgettable visitor experience. Tourism Superstar nominees are passionate about where they work and the destination they live in and consistently set the bar high for the standard of service in England’s tourism industry.
We would like to encourage Cheshire nominations.
- 25 November 2019: VisitEngland’s Tourism Superstar 2020 competition opens
- 10 January 2020: Deadline for nominations
- 14 January 2020: Judging panel meets to select the 10 Tourism Superstar 2020 finalists
- 15 January 2020: The successful individuals and respective DMO’s will be informed they are in the top 10 and that filming will start week commencing 20 January 2020
- Between 20 January - 7 February 2020: The 10 finalists will be filmed either in London or in their local area for the Mirror website – members of the public will then be able to watch the video and cast their votes. The films will also be shown on VisitEngland corporate and social channels
- 7 March - 21 April 2020: Drive to push voting on Mirror website
- 18 - 25 April 2020: English Tourism Week
- 23 April 2020 – St George’s Day. The winner will be required to attend an event in London - details TBC
- 25 April 2020: Winner announced in Saturday’s Mirror
- The winner of VisitEngland’s Tourism Superstar 2020 will be invited to attend and receive their award at the VisitEngland Awards for Excellence 2020 ceremony in mid-June 2020 - exact date and venue TBC. Nigel Thompson Travel Editor at the Mirror and Reach Plc will present the award along with the reigning VisitEngland Tourism Superstar
- Over the course of the year the Superstar winner may be included in other VisitEngland events
Please bear in mind there may be some slight variations to some of these dates depending on circumstances outside of our control.
See the video of last year’s finalists on Mirror.co.uk: https://www.mirror.co.uk/travel/uk-ireland/meet-10-fantastic-finalists-2019-14003994
Please bear in mind that all nominees will need to be willing and able to attend the filming in London or in their locality during January and February 2020, sign a waiver for the film rights and attend the VisitEngland Awards for Excellence 2020 ceremony in June 2020 - date and venue TBC.
Last year the competition generated tens of thousands of votes and hundreds of pieces of local media coverage as well as the national media exposure secured through the Mirror partnership.
The most successful past winners have galvanised support from the local community in such a way that the destination has benefitted enormously from the exposure this generated both in the build-up and after the winner was announced.
In addition to filming for the Mirror’s online voting, the films of the 10 nominated Superstars will be used on VisitEngland’s corporate and social channels in the lead up to English Tourism Week. The destination, employers and nominees can also use the films. All nominated individuals will have to agree to the filming and to the use of the films on VisitEngland channels through signing a waiver.
Download the nomination form here and return along-with a colour photo nominating your Superstar. Please ensure the person nominated is willing to participate and can travel to attend the VisitEngland Awards for Excellence 2020 ceremony in June 2020 - exact date and venue TBC. Once the 10 finalists are selected and informed they will be required to fill in and sign the waiver form to allow VisitEngland rights to the films we create.
To qualify for the Tourism Superstar 2020 competition the nominees must:
- Work for a tourism business or organisation in England and continue to work for that organisation at the time of English Tourism Week
- Be knowledgeable and passionate about the destination they work in and happy to talk about the destination outside of their work remit
- Go above and beyond the call of duty to make the visitor experience memorable
- Be available and willing to travel to London or be on site at their workplace from 20 January- early February 2020 to be filmed and happy for that film to be posted on the Mirror website for a number of weeks and used on VisitEngland’s social media channels as well as those of their DMO and employer
- Be willing and able to attend an event in London on 23 April 2020 – St George’s Day
- Be available to attend the VisitEngland Awards for Excellence 2020 ceremony in June 2020 - exact date and venue TBC
- Be aware that they have been nominated and happy to participate in any related PR and media opportunities during or post the announcement of the winner
- The 10 finalists will be required to fill in and sign a waiver form to allow VisitEngland rights to the films created
- Previous winners must leave at least one year before applying again
Please send nominations no later than 10 January 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org The list of the 10 finalists will be revealed to those winners and nominating organisations and/or DMOs on 15 January 2020. More details of the filming schedule will then be communicated.
More information on Tourism Superstar 2020 and how it will work:
- The 10 shortlisted candidates will be filmed either in London or in their local area in January and early February 2020. Their mini films (45 seconds max) will be posted on www.mirror.co.uk from 7 March – 21 April 2020 where the public will be able to vote for their favourite finalist. They will essentially have between 30 - 45 seconds to say why they should be VisitEngland’s Tourism Superstar 2020. The dates for individual filming will be agreed and confirmed as soon as possible
- The films will also be used on VistEngland’s corporate and consumer channels. The Superstars will be filmed going about their daily roles as tourism ambassadors. The finalist will need to fill in and sign a waiver form for this
- The Mirror will publicise the online voting mechanism on its website and in the paper throughout the campaign and via Twitter
- VisitEngland will promote the campaign via its various corporate and social channels
- Readers will vote on which Tourism Superstar they think should win
- The most successful candidates in the past have been supported by robust destination-led media and social media campaigns throughout the voting period
- The winner will be invited to attend the VisitEngland Awards for Excellence 2020 ceremony in June 2020 - exact date and venue TBC
- The winner will be required to attend an event in London on 23 April 2020 – St George’s Day
Please support English Tourism Week and nominate your Tourism Superstar! We look forward to receiving your nominations. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.